Are you ready for Summer? We sure are! The temps have finally risen and we’re making our warm weather to do lists. Beach? Check. Picnic by the lake? Check. Camping? Check Check. If you’re making all of these glorious sunshine-filled plans with kids, you know you’ll need a wealth of on-the-go activities to keep them entertained! So may we present, the super-simple, make-it-in-under-an-hour Travel Memory Game!
— One 9″ x 12″ rectangle of bright fabric
— One 9″ x 12″ rectangle of neutral fabric
— Scraps of bright fabrics for appliqué
— One 9″ x 12″ rectangle of Pellon® 72F Peltex® II
OR One 9″ x 12″ rectangle of Pellon® 71F Peltex® I + 1 sheet of EZ-Steam® II)
— 1 sheet EZ-Steam® II
— Coordinating Thread
— Six different images for appliqué
— Ribbon or Elastic
— Fiskars Titanium Softgrip® Comfort Loop Rotary Cutter
OR Amplify Razor Edge™ Fabric Shears 8″
— Cutting Mat & Acrylic Ruler
— Fiskars RazorEdge™ Softgrip® Fabric Shears
— Fiskars Detail Scissors (No. 4)
— Iron & Ironing Surface
1. Assemble the 9″ x 12″ rectangles. If using the Peltex® II, sandwich it between the two fabric rectangles with right sides facing out. Fuse following manufacturer’s instructions.
[If using the Peltex® I + EZ-Steam®, place the fusible side of the Peltex® I against the wrong side of one fabric rectangle. Fuse following manufacturer’s instructions. Remove one paper-backing of the EZ-Steam® II and finger press the sticky side to the wrong side of the other fabric rectangle. Remove the second paper backing and finger press the second sticky side to the Peltex®. Fuse following manufacturer’s instructions.]
2. Cut twelve 3″ x 3″ squares. You can either measure out and mark the squares using a disappearing marker (as shown in the first image below), or use the measurements on the ruler as a guide (as shown in the second image below) in conjunction with your rotary cutter. Alternately, you can use the Amplify Razor Edge™ Fabric Shears 8″, which are specially designed to work well with thick materials, like the Peltex®. Set squares aside.
3. Format desired images for appliqué, making sure that they are each no larger than 3″ square. Print. Trace each image twice onto the paper (matte) side of one sheet of EZ-Steam® II.
4. Rough cut around each image to separate.
5. Using a pin, lightly score the waxy (shiny) backing of the EZ-Steam® II. ‘Crack’ the back along the scored line and peel the backing away like a sticker back.
6. Finger press the exposed sticky side to the wrong side of your appliqué fabric.
[Alternate method: You could also wait to separate the images until after the waxy back has been removed and entire sheet has been finger pressed to the back of your appliqué fabric. Either method works and it all depends on whether you’re using the same fabric for all appliqués or many different fabrics.]
7. Using your Fiskars RazorEdge™ Softgrip® Fabric Shears, carefully cut out each shape.
8. Remove the paper (matte) backing of the EZ-Steam® II and finger press shape onto neutral side of one 3″ x 3″ square.
9. Repeat for all shapes.
10. Following manufacturer’s instructions, fuse each appliqué shape to the 3″ x 3″ squares.
11. Using a zig zag or satin stitch, stitch around all four raw edges of each square. Use your Fiskars Detail Scissors (No. 4) to snip the threads. (I LOVE these for detail work!)
12. Assemble all 12 squares and secure using a ribbon or fun elastic. Pop the game in your beach bag and you’re ready to go!
Don’t forget, the Create Behind the Seams Mini Challenge is on! Submit your projects between now and June 30 on Instagram with the following tags #createbehindtheseams, @pellonprojects, and @fiskar_hq to enter to win some fabulous prizes. Click here for more information.