Today’s project is so cute, quick and easy, you’ll want to make one for everyone on your holiday list. Appliquéd keychains can be personalized with the recipient’s initials, a favorite animal, a heart or any other shape. They can be rectangular (as the directions share), square, or any other shape you’d like. All you need is a little bit of Peltex® I, a little bit of EZ-Steam™ II and a little bit of creativity;).
Materials & Tools List
(makes the rectangular keychain)
— Two 1-1/2” x 2-1/2” rectangles of fabric
— One 2” x 2” coordinating fabric square
— Two 1-1/2” x 2-1/2” rectangles of Pellon® 71F Peltex®
— One pkg Pellon® EZ-Steam™ II
— Coordinating fabric scraps for appliqué
— One key ring
— Sewing Machine & Related Supplies
— Rotary Cutter & Related Supplies
1. Print out or draw desired appliqué shape. Must be no larger than 1” x 1-1/2” in size.
2. Trace shape in reverse onto the paper side of the EZ-Steam™ II. Repeat so that two shapes are represented. Roughly cut around each shape to separate. Remove the waxy side.
3. Place one piece of the EZ-Steam™ II on the wrong side of 2 coordinating fabric scraps with the paper side facing up. Finger press into place and cut out shapes.
4. Remove the paper backing and position each shape onto the right side of the 1-1/2” x 2-1/2” fabric rectangles. Finger press into place.
5. Following manufacturer’s instructions, fuse EZ-Steam™ II to fabric. Finish around the edges of the appliqués with a zip-zag or straight stitch if desired.
6. Place the fusible side of the Peltex® I against the wrong side of the fabric squares and fuse following manufacturer’s instructions.
7. Fold the 2” x 2” fabric square in half and press. Open square, fold edges in to meet the center fold and press. Refold at the center and press again. Topstitch along open edge and fold in half to create key ring loop.
8. Place the two appliquéd rectangles wrong sides together.
9. Place raw edge ends of key ring loop in between the two rectangles and topstitch to secure.
10. Finish around all four sides of the rectangle with a zig-zag or satin stitch.
11. Insert key ring through the key ring loop.
We’d love to see what you make, so be sure to post a photo on our Facebook page OR share with our ‘Made with Pellon®‘ flickr group!